Friday, March 26, 2010

Acupuncture...

I never thought I would say this, but I am actually looking forward to my next acupuncture session. I mean...me...Miss-low-pain-tolerance...wants to have someone put needles in her because it makes her feel good!

My first acupuncture appointment was on Monday. I first went in and filled out a form with 8 billion yes/no questions...are you usually cold...do you have normal bowel movements...etc. I whipped out my 13 months of charts and put it with my forms and then waited for a few minutes in the waiting room.

Andrew (my acupuncturist) called me back. We sat in his office and talked. He had me explain what was going on, what I am looking to achieve. He also asked me a few more questions. He told me that I have a kidney yang deficiency and I am lacking jing. He told me a few things to try to start including in my diet and then told me he was ready to do the acupuncture.

This is the point where my stomach dropped and I became nervous. I am not know for being able to deal with pain well! A splinter is enough to make me cry, so you can see why I would be a little nervous to have someone shove needles in me.

I laid down on the table. Andrew felt my pulse in a few different places on each arm. Then he told me he was going to start. I closed my eyes. I didn't want to see the pain coming. I felt the tiniest little prick and then the needle was in. No pain! After that first needle, I felt so much more relaxed. Some of the needles I felt a tiny little prick, some of them I didn't feel anything at all! I am not sure how many needles I had in me over all, but I had one in each wrist, a few around my belly button, and a few in my ankles and feet. Andrew put a heat lamp on my legs and told me he would be back in 10 minutes. I laid there feeling these warm tingling sensations starting to go through my whole body. As time went on, my arms and legs began to feel very heavy. The warmth, tingling, and heaviness was so relaxing...I was ready to go to sleep. Andrew came back after the 10 minutes and turned the needles. It made the tingling sensation seem to be a bit stronger. He left me for another 10 minutes. Although I only had on a tank top, the upper half of my body was feeling warm...something that only happens to me 90 degree weather or if I am exercising.

Andrew came back and removed the needles. He gave me some reading on Kidney yang deficiency and led me out to the reception area. I left feeling SO relaxed!!!!
I can't wait for my next treatment! I know it may take several months of treatment to see any effect on my cycle, but that doesn't seem like a chore!

I have my usual spotting right now, but I don't expect miracles to happen over night especially after only having one appointment around the time of ovulation. Brian has been seeing some progress with his digestive issues, so with time I am sure that I will see some progress as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment