Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

I was alone, I took a ride
I didn't know what I would find there
Another road where maybe i
Could see another kind of mind there


It was a busy weekend. We babysat our nephews on Friday night. We always love to spend time with them. They make us laugh and remember why we are going through all of these tests and trials...so that one day we can have kids like them! Saturday night was a busy night at the restaurant. I didn't get home until close to midnight...needless to say, I slept in on Sunday.

Sunday...Mother's Day. We took my mom out to breakfast. I think she really enjoyed being able to spend time with us. When we got back I went to the grocery store for a few last minute items. The combination of the restaurant and the grocery store just seemed to bring me down. Everywhere I looked there were smiling moms with their kids. It was like an exclusive club that I am not allowed to join. And I so desperately want to. I want to be able to talk about how I didn't get any sleep last night because the baby kept me up, or the new milestones that the baby has achieved. I want to watch this little person develop their own personality...to see what they like and dislike. And right now...that just seems so far away. So, I had a little cry when I got back from the grocery store. Then I took a shower and pulled myself together before going over to my sister-in-law's for a Mother's Day dinner. There, once again, I played with my nephews. I am the only woman there who was not a mother and it was a bit painful...not because of anything anyone said or did...just because of my own awareness. But, I had a good time with family and friends. I don't want to hide or not participate...I don't want infertility to keep me from enjoying life. So I make myself get out there and do things...even if they aren't always comfortable.

The highlight of my day: When my nephew was giving me a good night hug and kiss he said "Auntie, come back and play with me later." It melted my heart that this little guy WANTED to spend time with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment