Monday, November 8, 2010

My HSG experience

I was totally nervous about the HSG. I will admit that freely. I was afraid of both the results and the actual procedure. So, when my mom and I left for the hospital, I popped the advil that the doctor advised, and sat quietly in my seat.

We arrived at the hospital, got checked in, and then went to Radiology. The technician had me get changed into a gown and then I waited around for my doctor to arrive. The technician told me that waiting for the doctor is usually the longest part of this procedure.

My doctor arrived. He told me not to worry and that once we got all set up, the test itself would be over fast. He inserted the speculum, got the dye and syringe all ready, inserted the tube into my cervix. All the while the doctor did this, he was talking to me. He told me everything he was doing and after each step he asked me how I was doing. At that point, other than the slight discomfort any pelvic exam gives, I was feeling pretty good. He pointed out the monitor where I would be able to see the dye and my ovaries so I could watch with them. The doctor then asked if the x-ray technician was ready. The technician nodded and told him yes. Then he started pushing in the dye. He told me, it's going to cramp, it'll be over soon. The moment he started to push in the dye I felt an incredible amount of pressure and a bad menstrual cramp that never let up. It was like getting kicked in the stomach, the wind was literally knocked out of me and all I could do was groan a bit when he asked me how I was doing. The doctor told me to hang in there...that they saw the first tube spilling and were just waiting for the second one...it would just be a tiny bit longer. I saw the first spilling, but then I had to close my eyes and just concentrate on breathing. I heard the x-ray technician yell out, I see the second one spilling. The doctor said "I see it, too" and it was over. And the intense cramp let up to a much more mild cramp that I could deal with easily.

The doctor told me that I did great. He said both tubes are clear so next month we can go ahead and do an IUI. The IUI is an in-office procedure, so I won't have to go to the hospital. He told me to take my time getting up and if I need anything at all, to please give him a call.

Overall, while the test itself gave a terribly painful menstrual cramp that didn't let up, it was over fast, so it was totally doable. While I wouldn't ask to do it again, if I had to, I know I'd be okay. Especially with the doctor there to talk me through things.

My mom asked how it went and I told her everything was clear. She was happy that I got good results. I am glad she came with me. While I didn't have her in there with me during the test, having her there before helped to keep me calm. She told me if I need her to, she can drive me to an IUI or any other procedure which is sweet. I don't think we're going to tell anyone about when we are doing an IUI (if I can help it). We don't want everyone to get too excited and think I am getting a BFP just to get a BFN. I keep telling everyone that an IUI is just giving us a chance of getting pregnant...no guarantee!

No comments:

Post a Comment