Thursday, February 3, 2011

My Love/Hate Relationship with Progesterone

I don't like you
But I love you
Seems that I'm always
Thinking of you
Oh, oh, oh,
You treat me badly
I love you madly


I have been taking progesterone supplements for about 6 months now. I have a love hate with those little yellow pills. I love that they stop my bleeding. Progesterone supplements are the ONLY thing that extend my luteal phase. Those little lumps of yellow give me hope that maybe one day I will be able to carry a child.

Unfortunately, they also give me some side effects that I could live without...like being incredibly tired. I can sleep for 12 hours and then get up and still be tired. It usually starts about 2 days after I have started the supplements so I know it is caused by my little yellow friends. I basically get up tired, go to work, and then go home, make dinner, and sleep again. I can only imagine that this is a small taste of what the first trimester will be like.

I have occasional bouts with nausea as well. For the most part, this has gotten better since I switched to taking the pills vaginally, but for some reason this month is bad. I have to eat to keep myself from getting sick, but at the same time I feel nauseous all the time and it is hard to choke down food.

The last thing is it make me hungry...and this is one of my biggest problems because I seem to be gaining some weight. I have been trying to make sure it is healthy food that I am eating. But the fact that I am eating more and exercising less (due to the fatigue) is a bad combo. I am working on changing this around.

Last night was a particularly rough night. I felt sick, tired, and emotional. Basically, I wanted to curl up, hurl, and go to sleep at the same time. I don't know why this month I am feeling the effects more than in past months. But, I am willing to put myself through this month after month if I get a baby out of it. Considering that my hubby has had a sore butt from all the injections since October, it's a small price to pay.

Progesterone...I love you...and I hate you...

No comments:

Post a Comment